Town of Palazzolo Acreide: one of the 8 late Baroque cities of the Val di Noto (South east Sicily)
Distance from the Hotel Borgo Pantano: 40 km (40 minutes).
The town of Palazzolo Acreide is one of the oldest archaeological areas in the Italian panorama, whose urban fabric has remained fairly intact and where the various historical stratifications can be observed: 3000 years of history between Sicilians, Greeks, Romans, Byzantines, Arabs and Normans . Palazzolo Acreide is a city rich in Baroque and Liberty style monuments, palaces and churches. For this reason, in 2002, Palazzolo Acreide was officially registered by UNESCO in the list of World Heritage Sites. Palazzolo Acreide is a triangular-shaped town with main entrances to the corners located on a hill 45 km away from Syracuse and is part of the Monti Iblei area. In 664 a. C., on the hill called Acremonte, which separates the Anapo and Tellaro valleys, the Syracusans founded Akrai. There are many quotations from ancient historians and writers, who refer to Akrai’s role in important events in Sicilian history. Even before being appreciated by the Syracusans, this place was chosen by the Sicilians who raised their own village around the XII century. There were numerous dominations that alternated over the centuries: Roman, Byzantine, Arab, Norman. Hence the various names given to the city: Akrai, Acre, Balansùl, Placeolum or Palatioli and finally Palazzolo to which, in 1862, the patronymic of Acreide was added.